Saturday, February 05, 2022

MAU MAUS - The Singles Collection 1996

The Olympics have started, but to be honest, I'm not interested in that, although I'm enthusiastic about sports, but I think choosing a venue that has little to do with winter sports and ignores human rights is pretty stupid and ridiculous. But let's leave this topic, back to the music. A strong 80's band wich release five solid 7Inches during this time is Mau Maus and all of these can be heard on this excellent compilation. A bit info: Named after the 1950's secret political faction from Kenya, and inspiried by a US Hardcore act of the same name, Sheffield's Mau Maus formed after leaving school in late '79. Consistng of Chris (vocals), Andrew (guitar), Kevin (bass), Paul (drums), they had no equipment and no rehearsel room. But enthusiasm overpowered these problems and within months the band saw themselves playing a dire set of cover versions and poor original pieces at local Youth clubs. But that changed quickly and 1981 they were opener for the Angelic Upstarts @ the Marples Club. With the inspiration from US bands, they combine this with the inevitable influence of the contemporary British punk scene and create some of the hardest-hitting, most rough UK82 sounds how I love it. As far as I know, Mau Maus are active again, playing gigs and who knows, maybe a new album will follow soon.


4 comments:

  1. Saw Mau Maus at Marples, the early gigs were good at the pub on a corner if I recall right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. China Bad, Mau Maus Good! Their tracks on Wargasm were my favorites on that compilation. I too would much rather listen to the Mau Maus than watch a dictatorship cover itself in fake snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. Mau Mau's was music of my youth.

    ReplyDelete