Friday, August 18, 2023

SPERMBIRDS - A Columbus Feeling 2010

Now to a band that I like to play again and again and I have to admit that I would have liked to posted their debut but I can't find the record anymore. I've looked everywhere but this fucker isn't there and I know I had the first two, what I found is a burned CD of the two albums but I'm not in the mood to rip it now. I postpone that to later and now the band's eighth album (Rookie Records), and this shine with unruly Hardcore/Punk, and since 1983 the German underground scene, and Lee lyrically expresses here again his strongest and best.

We're talkin' about the Spermbirds from Kaiserslautern and by members of the melodic combo Walter Elf (including Lee Hollis, an American G.I. stationed in Germany, as vocalist and Frank & Roger (guitars), Markus (bass), Beppo (drums), they created a fast Hardcore/Punk sound with excellent lyrics that gained popularity in Germany and beyond. Spermbirds’ most successful album was their 1986 debut, Something To Prove, which drew influence from many American bands. The cover features a picture of Cerebus the Aardvark created by Canadian comic book author Dave Sim. Sim made mention of the album in his widely column in Cerebus, saying that although the band had not obtained permission to use his artwork, he would not harass them with legal action. Spermbirds split up in 1990, but reformed later in 1993 releasing a number of albums and are still touring today.

A very good powerful start into the weekend is guaranteed and let's see what's going on tonight.


2 comments:

  1. Their first 2 albums never leave my sight ... for almost 40 years now ... lol ... One of the best German Hardcore bands! I have the 2006 bundle of the first 2 albums "Something To Prove / Nothing Is Easy" (https://www.discogs.com/release/14391522-Spermbirds-Something-To-Prove-Nothing-Is-Easy). It's non-remastered, which makes it perfect! And I only got that one because the bonus tracks are better than the 1989 bundle (with tracks from their 1st single and split with Walter 11). If you want, I can send it to you. Just let me know if you prefer to have it in FLAC or MP3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cult Band
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete