Friday, October 21, 2022

D.R.I. - Dirty Rotten LP 1983

Kurt (vocals), Spike (guitars), Dennis (bass) & Eric (drums), the first line-up of D.R.I. (Dirty Rotten Imbecilesreleased their first masterpiece with twenty-two blasts on a 7Inch in 1983 on their own label Dirty Rotten Records. In the same year it was re-released as 12Inch by R Radical Records (MDC label) and this slab ranks high in my top ten. I remember exactly how blown away I was after going through this Hardcore firework, and the bar was already set high because MDC's debut is a milestone and I had a hard time imagining it rising, but this band from Houston (later based in San Francisco) went one "better". Pure energy paired with skilful, almost virtuoso interplay at a brisk tempo plus Kurt's fantastic voice. This is real magic and makes every Hardcore heart beating faster, being in love is harmless in comparison. And that's exactly the sound to get your emotions straight to the point and create slogans that are burned into your brain. Anyone who has heard that will have to become someone else, at least that's how it was for me. And this music is great if you want to clear your head, when it's full of shit, tried and true home remedy. You see, there's a reason I picked this record for today, and it's the weekend so appropriate for that too. I want give you a sparkling review which I can't:

"Starting with the awesome 'I Don't Need Society' and ending with the anthemic 'Explorer', D.R.I.'s debut album was an important stepping stone in the evolution of both metal and hardcore. D.R.I. drew a line in the sand between the American hardcore bands who wanted to stick close to the original punk sound and bands who wanted to branch out into heavy metal territory. D.R.I.'s use of thunderous heavy metal drumming and California Hardcore songwriting made Dirty Rotten LP something special, putting them in a category with Corrosion Of Conformity and Suicidal Tendencies as the forefront of a new movement. Their angry lyrics revolved around the usual political and social ills, but their approach was a staggering blend of pre-grindcore blastbeats (that particular drumming style may have even had its first recorded instance here), blunt and simplistic guitar riffs, and an acidic vocal workout from the young Kurt Brecht. His charismatic shout was the tone-deaf glue that kept the band together, especially in the face of abbreviated songs and sloppy playing. With some humorous lyrics, endless enthusiasm, and a penchant for short song times (only one song makes it past the two-minute mark), D.R.I.'s debut was a landmark album that paved the way for exciting new hardcore bands to spring up in its wake." (Bradley Torreano)

If you like loud old school Eighties Hardcore, this is for you! 


2 comments:

  1. Twenty-two blasts on a 7Inch))) Wie genial ist das? D.R.I. war die erste Hardcore Band die ich in den Achzigern während meiner Metal Phase gehört habe. Es war eine völlig andere Welt) Ich werde es nie vergessen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ein einschneidiges Erlebnis in jedem Fall.

      Delete