Wednesday, September 15, 2021

ABOVE THE RUINS - Songs Of The Wolf 1984

All right my dear followers, now a record that can/will certainly be a subject for discussion, but I like the songs and that's why it's okay to post the music here on wdthtc. Nevertheless, I quote a little facts/background as you are used to from me and tell me your opinion if you have any criticism or anything else to say about the record: "After being asked to leave Death In June in 1984 due to his membership in the British Fuckin' National Front, Tony Wakeford formed Above The Ruins. None of the group's releases name any of its members. Wakeford never said which other persons were involved in the group. The band released one cassette in 1984 which was issued on vinyl 1986 (First Floor Records) and CD in 1996. The album's sound was similar to the dark post-punk of early Death In June. They contributed a track on the No Surrender compilation which was released via Rock-O-Rama alongside with fuckin' nazi bands but I think this happened without the band's consent because Egoldt was a damn money-hungry bastard. The music's post punk sound bears resemblance both to early Death In June and his future project Sol Invictus. The anonymity of the band members, the lyrics (dedicated to subjects like patriotism, anti-Marxism, anti-egalitarianism and anti-multiculturalism) and Wakeford's political affiliations of the time led to on-going controversy and speculation surrounding the project. Wakeford formed Sol Invictus shortly after this project was abandoned. In 2007, he stated that he had had no connection to or interest in such ideas for twenty or more years." This copy is the re-release from Infinite Fog Productions which came out in a limited edition of 500 copies. Take it or leave it, but don't talk about it until you've heard it.


5 comments:

  1. First of all I have to say that I like Death In june, Sol Invictus and Current 93. I know that they have some kind of Nazi image. I never cared about that, because for me it isn't clear at all to recognice that from their lyrics. Yes, there's that visual factor. For me it's simply very beautiful music, Dark Folk))) Eine kleine Anekdote) In den späten Neunzigern waren Death In june auf Tour, auch in München. Die Antifa hat alles versucht das Konzert zu verbieten. Weisst Du was passiert ist? Sie haben das Konzert von München nach Dachau verlegt!! Ich musste einfach nur lachen) Mach weiter so mit deinem Blog! Grab all die längst vergessenen Schätze aus. 80's and 90's Forever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little jewel.
    I'm a long time Sol Invictus follower but this stuff is better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great album.

    "Controversy" and "nazi" imagery were always an integral part of punk culture.
    So all modern PC scumbags can go to hell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this LP, I bought it from a controversial French label which I will not name and bought it randomly at the time I don't even know why, probably because the cover appealed to me? I thought it was an Oi! album and of course big disappointment haha. I must have listened to this record 2-3 times in 30 years. Playing it now for a lucky fourth? Thanks, you helped me undust it anyway ;-)

    ReplyDelete