Sunday, June 20, 2021

WILD YOUTH - Afrika 1979-1982 [2019]

There are bands whose music immediately infects me and Wild Youth is exactly such one. Arguably the first punk combo in South Africa and founded out of boredom in March 1978 by Michael (vocals/guitars), Skid (bass), Mark (drums) and they grew up in the culturally spiritually devoid and morally corrupt wasteland of Apartheid South Africa. Mark was replaced by Rubin and a single, Radio Youth, was released by their own in 1979 in an edition of 300 copies. It was to be their only slab of their short-lived history (they broke up 1980). But fortunately the three recorded more songs which are available posthumously as singles or compilations, and that was a wise decision. This fuckin' great nugget of eleven blasts came out via Patron Of The Arts in a limited edition of 188 copies, two of them in clear vinyl. Their music is raw, wild, short, dynamic and catchy. This sound is what I call punkrock, and I have to think immediately of the divine Scavengers, whose music thrills me as well and is irreplaceable for my existance. I tell you, these songs let tufts grow out of your ears and you press the repeat knob more than once and I guarantee: if you feel down, choose Wild Youth and you give a shit about the fucking gray world!

- Great Thx to Fredrik -


No comments:

Post a Comment