Sunday, January 17, 2021

THE PRODIGY - Breath 12'' 1996

Well, when I heard this song for the first time, I felt the same as I first met punkrock and was surprised at myself, because I'm not an enthusiastic fan of this electronic sounds, but somehow Breathe fascinates me and that's why I was drawn to it I take the slab ashore. Energy that gets my blood pumping, packed in hard, driving beats and that turns me on. But apart from this song, my interest in this movement/style was rather poor but because the song was important in my life, it deserves an appearance in this theatre. A few basics from wiki: "The Prodigy are an English electronic dance music band from Braintree, Essex, formed in 1990 by keyboardist and songwriter Liam Howlett. The band's line-up has included MC and vocalist Maxim, dancer and vocalist Keith Flint (until his death in March 2019), dancer and live keyboardist Leeroy Thornhill (who left to pursue a solo career in 1999), and dancer and vocalist Sharky (1990–1991). Along with the Chemical Brothers and Fatboy Slim, The Prodigy are credited as pioneers of the breakbeat-influenced genre big beat, which achieved mainstream popularity in the 1990s. Howlett's rock-inspired drum rhythms infused with electronic rave music eats/breaks were combined with Maxim's omnipresent mystique, Thornhill's shuffle dancing style and Flint's modern punk appearance. On 4 March 2019, Flint was found dead at his home in Essex, weeks after the band had toured Australia and New Zealand. The rest of the tour dates were cancelled. Howlett said that The Prodigy will continue and he confirmed that new music will be released at some point in 2021. Former member Leeroy Thornhill said that Howlett had been working on a new Prodigy album at the time of Flint's death, and wishes to complete it as a tribute to Flint." Now a little housework and then rip vinyl. Stay tuned!


2 comments:

  1. I never got into Prodigy in the 1990s but I'll need to check this out since it gets your stamp of approval!

    ReplyDelete