Tuesday, May 19, 2020

M.I.A. - After The Fact 1987

One of the first punk bands from Las Vegas were M.I.A. and this is their last album which came out via Flipside Records. Before I leave you with an excellent review from their homepage, briefly the note about their debut split 12'' Last Rides together with Genocide that illustrate their musical roots and is a damn big eruption (Vesuvius is kindergarten)"After the Fact is one of the best US punk records of the late 1980s, mostly because it mixes many post-punk influences and innovates where other punks cling totradition. The two guitars rarely play similar parts, there are dynamics & mood settings, contemplative sound and even a Killing Joke inspired tribal backbeat. The production on After the Fact is far superior to M.I.A.'s past efforts, with real bottom, kick, drive and guts. Check out the cover of "California Dreaming" or the effortless “Edge Of Forever” for proof that punk can be a fresh aural pleasure, even at this late date. M.I.A. ultimately paid the same price that the original TSOL and Effigies did when they went against the grain and tried to take punk to its next step: the group split up in early 1988." – Jack Rabid/Trouser Press - I would like to add; in 2001 Alternative Tentacles brought out a cool double record set called 'Lost Boys' (the first 1000 in orange) with thirty-seven rare old blasts, great stuff!

- Great Thx to Fredrik -


5 comments:

  1. Thanx WDM I hadn't heard this before, but now I need more

    ReplyDelete