Friday, October 12, 2018

ACCÜSED - The Return Of Martha Splatterhead 1986

Holy shit, that was a long hard fuckin' day and I need the weekend more than ever and to switch off now a record that I heard in those days with my best friend up and down and unfortunately no longer in my collection: the first Accüsed album. A bit info from wiki: The Accüsed is a crossover thrash band from Seattle, Washington, founded in 1981. The band was a progenitor of the crossover style that bridged the gap between thrashcore and thrash metal, later influencing grindcore and some crust punk bands; as well as an influential band in the Seattle alternative scene. The band calls their music "Splattercore", and their zombie mascot, Martha Splatterhead, appears on most of their albums. Common themes involve social issues and the theme of Martha Splatterhead coming back from the dead to slaughter rapists and child molesters. The Accüsed took an 11-year hiatus in 1992, with members taking time to play in Seattle bands such as The Fartz and Gruntruck. The band re-formed in 2003, and after several line-up changes was put on "...indefinite hiatus..." in 2012 according to band founder and sole original member, guitarist Tommy Niemeyer. The Return of Martha Splatterhead was released on Subcore Records and later re-released on Earache Records (the first mosh album), in 1986. According to reviewer Jeb Branin, "I was writing for a zine in Canada called Northern Metal that reviewed the new LP The Return Of Martha Splatterhead giving it a 0.0 rating and absolutely crucifying it in the review. It is the only 0.0 review I remember ever seeing in Northern Metal. They hated it so much I knew I had to buy it. As I suspected, the album was a masterpiece of hardcore hysteria."

Well, I'm still excited about this aggressive sound that I've never heard again which continues seamlessly on the second longplayer 'More Fun Than An Open Casket Funeral'.


2 comments:

  1. Yeah. This is one of the few bands from that very first wave of Thrash Metal/Hardcore bands I still listen to with delight!.Danke!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way, Bitte!

    ReplyDelete