Thursday, July 24, 2014

FOOT & MOUTH - The Prophecy Of Fossos M-LP 1986

This mini LP is one of those pleasant surprises that I love. I bought it at the last small record fair here and to date I did'n heard this Melbourne based combo which featured Sean Greenway and Matty Whittle who would later go on to be in GOD. I saw the cover and was immediately excited and when the seller told me there from Australia so I thought to myself: get it! Because I like aussie punk style and here I thought this must be hardcore stuff or something in this direction, that cover at least suggested that for me. But what I got to hear was completely different. It starts with a spoken intro called prophecy, OK and then comes a perfect sound from guitars which is like a MP, tack tack tack tack, far away from the typical hardcore sound what I expected. Fuckin' cool. Song #3 begins with keys and the rhythm reminds me of "I Wanne Be Your Dog", I'm not sure but 99%, impulsive & melancholic played, awesome. Side 1 ends with "Seymour! (The Room's A Mess)", a brilliant snotty punk song in a typical KBD style. And so further goes with Side 2 with another short punk smasher. By the way the lyrics are funny too and accompanied with queer noises. "I Want My Mummy" is a dark monotone four minute ballad with no guitars. Very charmin'. The album ends with a danceable nice pop song and after about twenty-two minutes the music is unfortunately over. So hardcore as I believed is here with no single tone. And as I ripped the album, I listen to three/four times in a row and I promise you do that too. Foot And Mouth were a damn cool band and with this record which were only 500 copies pressed on 'No Penis No God' records they have left a masterpiece for posterity and it's now extremely hard to find. I included all artwork because the booklet is also nice. I would be interested what you think about the record and would appreciate numerous comments. Don't be a moron!

5 comments:

  1. The song 'Seymeour! (The Room's A Mess)' was apparently given a good run by John Peel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings, I used to have the album and gave the band a couple of gigs when I worked as a promoter back in the day, the file has expired are you able to reap please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi gonzo, was certainly a great time! link's fixed and let's revel in good memories... awesome record, awesome combo!

      Delete
  3. I love it and have for many years now. A release that like most good things in Australia remains unknown in Australia. Matty Whittle was never given the attention by any press he deserves. Of corse there's the underground world and I'm all for keeping it that way.
    I was about 19 living in a share house in Melbourne and Josh from Foot and Mouth lived there too. I'd never heard them before. Anyway I'd done some sleave art by then, Splatterheads Bot, Bored Skuzz and a German Subway Records compilation called Found in the Subway. I had none of those albums at that point due to selling everything, all my stuff for drugs and food too from being poor. I'd been living in this house for a while, the other three people that lived there were into bloody terrible music. Just randomly one day I was talking to Josh about music and he played The Prophecy of Fossos for me. That was a good day.

    ReplyDelete