Today is one of those days that I don't really need, and I don’t want to burden you with details. Everyone knows what happened on August 6th, 86 years ago, but that is merely a footnote, but typical of today. I won’t go into specifics; suffice it to say: death comes when it chooses to come (a really shitty intro), but anyone who knows me knows I’m an emotional Fuckhead, hence this fucking prolog. I presumably also chose the record that follows now. I first heard Dream 6 in a movie called The Party Animal from 1984, an absolute must watch. A classic Eighties film with an excellent Soundtrack and I recommend you watch this beauty; you'll have a lot of FUN! The band was formed in 1982 by Johnette (vocals/bass), Jim (guitars), Michael (drums) within the vibrant Los Angeles scene and they released only this 12'' on Happy Hermit Co. before later changing their name to Concrete Blonde. The driving forces behind the band were Johnette & James an they were both very active on the fringes of the L.A. Punk scene. They initially called themselves the Dreamers (later L.A. Dreamers) and contributed a song to a Compilation (don't know which) in 1982. One year later they booked the legendary Gold Star Studios in Los Angeles and together with Michael, they recorded six awesome songs. Since the final work comprised exactly six tracks, the trio promptly renamed themselves Dream 6. Their musical style ranks between as a blend of PostPunk, Alternative & New Wave. Compared to the later, more polished sound of Concrete Blonde, the music here was significantly rawer and edgier. The sound is driven by a no-frills, propulsive guitar and a dominant bassline. Critics describe the work as a "pretty cool and dark" affair. The lyrics often reflect the melancholy, frustration, and gritty atmosphere of that era. Even in these early recordings, Johnette’s powerful vocal prowess shines through; her voice shifts effortlessly between emotional vulnerability and an aggressive rock roar, a captivating experience. 'Rain' is the absolute standout track (from the soundtrack), and I don't know how many times I rewound and replayed it... and believe me, back then, it wasn't easy to get hold of the record. Get ready for a raw, emotional sound and an uncut gem you’ll want to listen to again and again, featuring one of the most distinctive and emotive vocalists of her generation.
I do know what happened and I appreciate the mention. This honors the poor victims. One man was injured and walked to the next city just to have to live through again. Thanks again.
ReplyDelete