Thursday, September 01, 2022

ART OF NOISE - Moments In Love 12'' 1985

We start relaxed in autumn with another band of my pop years: Art Of Noise and I remember very well my first date with them. A very good friend came up with the Close-Up 12'' back then and said it's fucking cool & kicks the shit out of you, great stuff, etc.. we listened to the slab and it was just like that. Powerful beats to an excellent rhythm that loosens the plaster from the walls. I mean, look at the soft flute music of the last few days I posted, softmusic and meine Fresse, I was too prone on that, hahaha....I needed a kick and CloseUp hit my balls total, completely new, refreshingly different and an interesting piece of feeling. Short basics: the British art-pop group established 1983 in London. They took material from a variety of sources: rock, jazz, R&B, traditional pop, found sounds, and noise all worked their way into the group's distinctly postmodern soundscapes. It kicks off after Gary Langan and JJ Jeczalik started to sample a drum riff that had been scrapped by the rock group Yes for band's album 90125 that was being produced by Trevor Horn. It was the very first time that an entire drum riff had been sampled on a Fairlight, C.M.I. sampler using the then new Page R sequencer, that allowed the programmer to sequence anything that had been sampled. At the same time Horn was setting up his to his new Zang Tuum Tumb label, co-founded by his wife Jill Sinclair, ex-NME journalist Paul Morley and with help from Langan. 

The band had a few breaks, released numerous albums and is still active and touring. I have to see if I can find the 12'' and its first record, I know they were in my collection. Moments Of Love is a chilled classic and brought the band more exposure, I think a movie helped too, and again my sensitive side screams (der rote Faden, you know). The other goodies are the 7-inch plus a more naked version, as well as Beatbox Diversion 10, a four minute pulse accelerator. Simply magical!


2 comments: