Tuesday, August 23, 2022

BIG COUNTRY - Wonderland 7'' 1984

The second 7Inch of my Pop classics belongs to a four piece which formed 1981 in Dunfermline, Fife: Big Country. Wonderland is already their seventh single and with this, I will say, they achieved their breakthrough. Members at these recordings were Stuart (vocals/guitar), Bruce (guitar), Tony (bass), Mark (drums). The height of the band's popularity was in the early to mid 1980s, although it has retained a cult following for many years since. The band's music incorporated Scottish folk and martial music styles, and the band engineered their guitar-driven sound to evoke the sound of bagpipes, fiddles, and other traditional folk instruments. I liked the song right away but Punk got hold of my heart so I didn't pursue the band any further. There's a lot to read on the web, including Stuart's tragic death in December 2001, so I'll refrain from further words. They're still touring and maybe one day a new record will follow. Interesting band in any case.



- - - - - -

No comments:

Post a Comment