Friday, June 05, 2020

THE LUCHS BROTHERS - Kill Me I'm Rotten 7'' 1978

Debut killer 7Inch by the Luchs Brothers, Kurt (vocals), Marv (guitar), Gary (drums), from Chicago on Retread Records. The Luchs Brothers originally started out as a comedy troupe and they really had only one track that was in the punk vein, but since it was well-known at the time they are lumped into the punk scene. Kurt remembers "Kill Me I'm Rotten was written in ten minutes after my first exposure to the voice of Johnny Rotten, which I thought was one of the funniest things I'd ever heard, and to which I wanted to pay some kind of comedic homage. To this day, I'm amazed at how little press is devoted to the humor of the Sex Pistols and how seriously everybody takes punk. The idea that this man has made a living from singing all these years is, to me, hilarious. Still, I'm a big fan and I've enjoyed pretty much everything he's done. We soldiered on for a while with our comedy shenanigans. Our second record was unfortunately a major abortion, an attempt to combine songs with comedy bits, and it all sounds pretty awful today except for one cut, Luchs Brothers On Parade, which is nice but too long. I wouldn't stand by anything else on the record except for the ingenious homemade packaging, which is based on Chinese propaganda of the period, and includes things like a political playlet, etc." In 1979 a second 7Inch "We Are Farmers & Comedians Too" followed which moves more into comedy. Both songs are pretty cool stuff!

- Great Thx to Fredrik -


No comments:

Post a Comment