Sunday, June 18, 2017

MARY MONDAY & THE BITCHES - I Gave My Punk Jacket To Rickie 7'' 1977

This record is one of the best punk 7'' in my opinion and was released on Malicious Productions. I know this one's is posted in many blogs so Fredrik sent me his copy and I have no other choice to present this sucker again. Lner notes I found and I say thx for this to -k-: "Mary Monday & The Bitches with their sole release is a ‘77 favorite - John Peel even said so - that tends to get overlooked in the heaps of punk records that were coming out at the end of the 70s. Both sides are poppy, kinda sloppy, and (most importantly) just downright fun. The b-side, is also a total rocker complete with manic, burning guitar. The single leaves you wanting more, but unfortunately, like so many others, the band left us with this great piece of wax and then disappeared into thin air. The band’s story seems to be shrouded in mystery, but according to several sources Mary Monday and the Bitches were five band members that got together in 1977 from California. Riding the invigorating punk wave, the back of their single was held together by safety pins in accordance with the “punk” fashion trend that was becoming increasingly common. Mary’s backing band were apparently a San Francisco bar band known as the Street Punks who had disbanded before the decade’s end. After “I Gave My Punk Jacket To Rickie”, it’s difficult to track down where SF scene queen Mary Monday went for certain, but some have claimed she assumed another pseudonym (Vermillion Sands) and wrote for the fanzine Search & Destroy, as well as continuing within the punk scene and participating in other musical endeavors for an indeterminate amount of time. Anyway, this single’s a favorite and “Punk Jacket” was also included on the great My Girlfriend Was A Punk! compilation, which collects early punk bands from all over the world."

- Huge Thx to Fredrik -


3 comments:

  1. Hi Buddy, Here is Slavo (previously Lunatikk666) from AlterNation. I change my blog name. Can You put my blog to your list ? You still on my list man.
    http://soundfromtheundergroundmusic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. There used to be some demo tracks and other songs on YouTube. Not as good, unfortunately. This was their finest moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is actually a 7'record with
    4 songs on it before Punk Jacket To Rickie
    record came out. It is called "Out Of The Alley"
    33 1/3 speed, with the original cut of Popgun.
    There were 100 pressed. Leave Us Alone was on
    that record and both are on Youtube.
    Rave Up Records is releasing a LP in November with those 2 first recordings on it, with the Street Punks.
    Album name is "In The City"..Saw the release notes 2 days ago.

    ReplyDelete