Thursday, November 12, 2015

Z - In Berlin 1980

This record is in my opinion very underrated and whenever I see a copy you already get it for three or five euros. I mean cheap is not necessarily bad, got a couple of great plates for low prices and Z's only album, released on Rocktopus records, I've bought at the Au-Fest on summer 2013 for three Euros. Z were founded in late 1979 by David McCormack (vox), Klemens Domning (bass), Michael Kurzawa (guitars), Gerhard Helle (drums) & Johannes Fuchs (keyboards) and in spring 1980 they recorded in the Paragon-Studios their debut 7inch "Legalize Erdbeereis". Albrecht Metzger describes the cultural life of the time in Tip (maybe a scene-zine or whatever) from August 1980 so: "the Berlin scene is alive - more than ever. the late spring of this year blew the creativity and the new lust in making music out from the cellars and practice rooms." A lot of punk & wave bands were formed this time and a few records are still nowadays absolute classics (Beton Combo, Honkas, PVC, Tempo, Ideal, TV War, etc....). On this record are thirteen catchy goodies between wave and punk and that the singer is British makes them, as I find, more authentic. Very good mix of fast numbers, shallow poppies and melodic mid-tempo crackers, my favorites: 'City Groove', 'For The Kids', 'Wasted Heroes' and 'All In The Mind'. Another 7inch follows after the release of the album and their last 12'' comes out 1982 on Reflektor Z called 'Hühnerfarm?' and if anyone have this please send me mp3's.is a damn cool band and 'In Berlin' is a great one, "Keine Musik Für Irgendeine Schublade", I agree.

2 comments:

  1. Hey thanks on this one! If 'X' in Australia is a favorite of brushback at his blog and I have seen and like the American band 'X' a lot over the years, then I certainly must know a band called 'Z' and fitting they are from Germany as a hot bed with a great scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kannst du die nochmal hochladen? Danke!

    ReplyDelete