Sunday, December 27, 2015

D.R.I. - Live @ CBGB'S New York 1984

This brings back a lot of memories. In the early 80s I listen to a lot of Metal stuff because I was a Metaller with all my heart. I leave this style when I came in touch with American Hardcore bands like Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Bad Religion, Dead Kennedys, Warfare (UK) etc.... so also with D.R.I. The Hardcore sound was an integral part in this scene and then more and more concerts took place I rather visited of course those gigs as Megadeth or Anthrax. 1986 then D.R.I. live in my city, together with Holy Moses (ARRGGHHH!) and this show changed my lifestyle completely. I will not say that they made me a punk because I've also heard some German punk bands, EA80, Slime, Daily Terror, OHL for example, but they were rarely present live as the ami bands. I would say my interest in metal was deleted this evening, First-class performance with pogo till the shack crashed, unforgotten. Who ever saw a D.R.I. gig can attest to this. A little info:

D.R.I. (Dirty Rotten Imbeciles) is a crossover thrash band from the United States that formed in Houston, in 1982. The band currently comprises founding members, vocalist Kurt Brecht and guitarist Spike Cassidy, as well as drummer Rob Rampy and bassist Harald Oimoen. D.R.I. never gained a mainstream audience, but the integration of their hardcore punk roots with thrash metal influences was a stylistic catalyst for their contemporaries - most notably Suicidal Tendencies, Corrosion Of Conformity and Stormtroopers Of Death - alongside whom they are considered pioneers of what would later be called "crossover thrash." They have released seven original studio albums, the last of which was released in 1995. Since then, the band has continued touring and intermittently going on hiatus. In 2004, D.R.I. released a web-only demo track "Against Me", their first recording in a decade. For years, there has been talk of an eighth D.R.I. album, which has yet to materialize.

The first three albums are all terrific and as '4 Of A Kind' came out the music was too monotonous to me and I lost interest. I love more the rapid, wild aggressive sound and here on this CD are all their hits. Forty songs in Thirty-Nine minutes. A Must Listen!!

No comments:

Post a Comment